Summer time is such a great time of year to spend with your pooch! So many fun things to do and see.
Here are a few things you can do to help keep your pet safe and cool!
- Always make sure your dog has plenty of water!
- Avoid walking your dog during peak heat hours. Early morning or late afternoon/evening. Sidewalks and even sand can get very hot and burn your pooch’ pads.
- If you choose to swim your dog in the river, be aware of your surroundings. How fast is it running, is it shallow or deep, is there a bend in the river?
- If you plan to take your dog to the beach or lake for the day, make sure to make them drink water and take breaks in a shaded spot. It sounds silly, but lots of dogs suffer from dehydration and heat exhaustion. They get so busy playing that they forget to take care of their bodies.
- Try freezing fresh knuckle bones and giving to your dog as a cool summer treat. Make sure to supervise them!
- Freeze carrots and apples in vegetable broth in a medium sized container and let your pooch enjoy another cool treat
- A wet towel for your pooch to relax on can help keep them cool
- And for the broken record portion of our tip….Keep them well groomed! Remember that mats and undercoat trap heat!